Monday, October 31, 2011

Trunk or Treating

Happy Halloween! Last wednesday we gathered our children from around the world and throughout history for the trunk or treat. This year's family theme stemmed from Emma's idea to be an ancient Egyptian...

She totally made her costume all by herself. The white sheet is the same one I used
for the Bride of Frankenstein last year, she just had to take it in and cut some off the bottom.
Once hers was decided, we just looked to the rest of the world for inspiration and played on everyone's natural gifts and talents. Ben, for example, has red hair--he's Irish, easy!

A green vest and one felt shamrock for clarification.
Kind of wishing I'd made a burlap potato sack for his candy bag.

And who has a black and white horizontal striped shirt? Afton! Hello France!

Super-easy felt red beret was the only thing different from a normal outfit for her.
When we got in the car to leave she cried and cried, "I don't have a costume!"
She was consoled when people started giving her candy
We have the Langfords to thank for Josh and Lydia's costumes. They handed down the Native American costume to us long ago, and lent us some authentic Chinese silks for Josh



Scott got off very easy this year by dressing as a Spaniard. (His name tag says Hello My Name is Inigo Montoya. Get it? Ha!). I threw on some black knee socks with sandals and a USA t-shirt to play tourist.


They will mostly mix it up for tonight, I'll have to do a follow-up with the new costumes. Prediction: at least two princesses.

{see past family themes here, here, and here}

5 comments:

Sharlene, Mom, Grammy said...

I love, love, love your international theme. Very clever! Looking at these pix puts a smile on my face. Happy Halloween.

Laura said...

1: you guys are the cutest.
2: i loved having Afton sit with us. she was a dream and said to me "lori is my mommy." it was funny.
3: thank you for the clothes you sent a few weeks ago. I am going to start bringin Afton extra food to nursery snacktime so she can grow big and tall so we can continue to get her hand-me-downs in the future. :)

Erin_C said...

you guys are always so cute and creative! I love this international theme. you have such a beautiful family :)

joelb said...

awesome. but burlap sack? that guy needs a cast iron gold-carrying pot!

and i have another unhelpful ex post facto suggestion: a curly french mustache for afton. she couldn't have complained then, amirite?

Annabelle said...

I love the costumes! And the idea of doing a theme! Our little guy was a Frenchie too with the striped shirt and beret! Happy holidays! -Annabelle